I want to examine what it takes to become a wise person. Did you know that God intends for all his children to be wise? Yet we tend to think that wisdom is for a chosen few—not true! Just think of the important benefits of becoming a wise person:
- You don’t make foolish choices; therefore, you don’t have to live with the consequences of foolish choices.
- You don’t make foolish statements; therefore, you don’t have to eat those foolish words.
- People respect your advice and suggestions as they realize that you have wisdom.
- You have the ability to discern truth from error, and to discern sincere people from deceitful and dishonest people.
- You make good decisions—to your own benefit and the benefit of others in your life.
The Word of God instructs us to pray for wisdom. James 1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” Have you ever asked God for wisdom? Is that one of the most important requests that you regularly bring to God? God is delighted when we ask for wisdom and he is most willing to grant it to us. You and I can be wise people.
The second verse in Proverbs tells us that the Book of Proverbs was written for attaining wisdom and discipline. It would make sense that we should study this book and understand it well for within it we find great wisdom. Then we need to pray that wisdom into our lives.
If you truly want to be a wise person—with wisdom from God and his Word—then I have a gift for you. We have designed 10 lovely cards with words of wisdom from God’s Word—small reminders of basic Bible principles which will make you a wiser person. You will find these on our website or we’d be glad to send them to you.
They’re easy to take with you to review as you have time during your day. Furthermore, you can share them with others. I hope you will get and use your set of cards in order that you may “know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight and to receive instruction in wise dealing” (Proverbs 1:2-3).